Meadows Mills, Inc. has spent 108 years
striving to be the provider of low cost, high quality milling
equipment. Our goal is to provide the milling community with
the highest quality products available while continuing to
provide a means financially for small producers to enter the milling
market. We provide a wide range of sizes throughout our product
lines giving millers the opportunity to purchase the mill that is
right for their application.
Meadows Mills had its beginning around 1900 at Pores Knob in
Wilkes County North Carolina. Pores Knob is located about
eight miles south of North Wilkesboro. A mechanically inclined
Baptist minister, Reverend William Calloway, W. C., Meadows, designed and
built a burr mill with stones mounted in a vertical position as
opposed to the conventional flat or horizontal mills generally
used up until that time. In his shop on Moravian Creek, Rev.
Meadows began manufacturing these burr mills, and in 1907 he
obtained a patent on his design; thus, forming the W. C. Meadows
In 1908, a group of North Wilkesboro men bought the W. C.
Meadows Mill Company, erected a factory in North Wilkesboro, and
continued manufacturing Stone Burr Mills on an enlarged scale.
Production reached its peek during the World War I period of the
early 1920's. The year 1924 marked a milestone in the history of
Meadows Mills. The W. C. Meadows Mill Company acquired the
New Williams Company, which had been manufacturing vertical stone
burr mills since 1912, and the W. J. Palmer Company, a
manufacturer of sawmills. The new companies became known as
Meadows Mill Company operating under the ownership of Edward and
Richard Finley. The new company moved into a factory, which
had been erected by the Williams Company in 1918. The
Meadows Mill Company operated in this location until 1965.
In 1965, a building containing 48,000 square feet was
constructed in downtown North Wilkesboro and the company moved
from the old plant without losing a day of production. Meadows
Mills, Inc. still operates from this location today.
In 1990, a group of investors, who included Bob and June Hege,
purchased the Meadows Mill Company from the Finley's. Meadows
Mills, Incorporated was formed. In 1991, the Hege's assumed
complete ownership of Meadows Mills, Inc. and today are active in
the corporation as President, Bob and Secretary/Treasurer, June.
As the years have passed, Meadows Mills has made continuous
improvements in all lines of equipment. Meadows products are
recognized throughout the world as high quality, low cost
machines ready to provide years of dependable service. Meadows sawmills,
hammer mills, and stone burr mills are used throughout
the world. Meadows Mills has manufactured approximately
10,000 sawmills, 6,000 hammer mills, and 37,000 stone burr
mills. We continue to proudly manufacture and service
sawmills, hammer mills and stone burr mills.
In 1998, Meadows Mills, Inc. purchased Andrus Saw
a division of Apex Manufacturing of Eugene, Oregon. The
Andrus Saw Sharpener had been manufactured under the leadership
of Jerry Toy since 1948. The company was moved to North
Wilkesboro and continues to operate successfully today.
On May 1, 2001 Meadows Mills, Inc. purchased Miner Edger, a
division of Soule' Steam Feed Works, Inc. of Meridian,
Mississippi. Miner Edger produced nearly 10,000 edgers
since 1923. Miner Edger was a part of the Soule' family
since its beginning in 1923. Miner Edger is now a division
of Meadows Mills, Inc. and operates in North Wilkesboro.
On July 8, 2004 Meadows Mills, Inc. completed the purchase of Lane Equipment Company and Lanetech of
Lane sawmills have been manufactured since 1848. Lane Equipment and
Lanetech are now a division of Meadows Mills, Inc. and operate in North
On October 13, 2006 Meadows Mills, Inc
completed the sale of Lane Equipment Company and Lanetech Sawmills to Bornemann
& Greene of Morrisville, VT.